Here’s some stuff done for the two last bloodsports. For those who don’t know bloodsports are challenges in the Crimson Daggers community and are a great exercise to improve, and feel part of the community, it’s totally worth and I recommend anyone to give it a try 🙂
Bloodsport #13: Time travelers final piece, wip and sketches/studies
Bloodsport #14 Beastmasters Final piece, wips, sketches and studies
It’s been 3 weeks since I said I was going to start working on a personal project to reinforce my design skills, get ready for FZD and feel it like a real job in some way.
But I failed, I’d like to say now everything was right but it wasn’t, I have to learn from this failure and repeat it again in the future because is something I recommend to anybody.
I painted this illustration just as “teaser” of something that I hope gets bigger with time.
Now I can explain what was the idea, in the 3 weeks, I was goinn to work on a project with a script part written by me and part written by a friend who was going to act as a client. There were deadlines, revisions, etc. And the part of the script I wrote was to set up a story with elements I would not be comfortable with because of the lack of experience but I was interested in.
The point is I wanted it to be like a bloodsports challenge, something where I not only practice, but also study new stuff. So the first week was going to be full of study and the other 2 designing and doing a few more studies if required.
The first week was right, live streaming only 1 hour a day I had a lot of time to keep focused studying.
My entry for the bloodsports challenge #11
The bloodsports challenge #5 was about redesign one of the top miyazaki films. I started working on an illustration based on Princess Mononoke (one of my favs) but didn’t have much time so I didn’t finish it.
After a while I got back to it and with a few days working on it I finally finished it.
I don’t usually paint fan-art, but this was for the bloodsports challenge, it’s a good way to get exposure and…..yes, I like this movie so much XD
As for any other bloodsports challenge I made an image with the making of.
And these are the studies from the previous week, only a few this time, pretty bad. The thing is that now I try to relate the studies to the paintings I work on, but last week was mostly refining old pieces. These studies were for the creatures designs.
I submitted my entries for those challenges but I wanted to spend a bit more time before including them in my portfolio. Now I’m done with them.
Bloodsports #9 is over and I learned a lot but again at the end I wasn’t able to finish the illustration, but I’ll continue working on it in the future.
And a couple of character sketches from last night and this morning’s livestreams
For this bloodsports I have to work on a cover with mechs so I spent some time to learn how to draw then before jumping to the illustration. Here are some sketches drawn after my studies.